With the upcoming Captain America movie on it’s way, Marvel have been releasing character posters.
So far, they have released a character poster for Captain America, Black Widow and Nick Fury.
Now we just have to be on the look out for more posters. Here are the three so far!
From the Shire, to the paths that the Dwarf fellowship take, BIlbo Baggins, played by Martin Freeman, has come a long way since An Unexpected Journey, becoming more courageous and and curious as the journey continues.
The Desolation Of Smaug is a perfect representation of how far Bilbo has come, on their journey to The Lonely Mountain, to reclaim it from the claws of the mighty, fire-breathing dragon, Smaug, who is voiced by Benedict Cumberbatch.
On their travels, the group encounter various different foes, including giant gigantic looking spiders, Elves and Orcs.
They gain new friendships along the way too, including the Bard (John Bell) and also a little bit of romance.
The storyline follows the group more than it does specific characters, which gives more depth to their situations and helps to show us more of whay the other characters are like. There was also no mention of Gollum in the movie, which didn’t occur to me until the movie had finished. This may be because they focused on other characters and they have travelled further than Gollum could probably ever travel.
With the Necromancer and Smaug looming over their journey, along with Orc attacks and being captured by both spiders and Elves, the group finally make it to The Lonely Mountain, where Bilbo wakes the dragon unintentionally and they have to work together to stop him, to no evail.
One of my favourite scenes is when Bilbo wakes Smaug, as they have a conversation, which seems to me to be a somewhat small, but yet surreal nod to Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman’s famous modern incarnations of Sherlock Holmes and John Watson. They speak very much the same way that they would in Sherlock, with Cumberbatch taking the upper hand and Freeman complimenting Cumberbatch.
The Desolation Of Smaug is a tremendous follow on from it’s predecessor, An Unexpected Journey, and improved on quite a number of aspects, including frame rate and running time, made it all the more enjoyable to watch.
– In the final credits, is says “Ask for Babs”, referring to a character in the film who supposedly became a tour guide there.
For many years, if someone really did ask for Babs, they would get a free or discounted admission to the tour.
Universal does not use this promotion anymore.
– In the movie, during the first, big, party at the Delta House, when Flounder is walking down the stairs there is a lot of graffiti on the wall behind him. One of the messages scribbled on the wall is “MAC RULES”. This is a reference to the University that creator Ivan Reitman attended with Eugene Levy and Martin Short: McMaster University in Hamilton, Canada.
– The guy who leads parade down the alley is Stork. His only line in movie was,
“Well what the hell are we supposed to do you moron?”
He wrote the screen play. He later wrote “Caddy Shack”.
– At the end of the film the text at the bottom of the screen says “Doug Neidermyer went to vietnam where he was shot by his own men” the 1983 twilight zone movie has a scene directed by John Landis where a GI says to his partner “We shouldn’t have fragged Neidermyer”.
– When John Belushi smashes that guy’s guitar in the movie, the guy singing is actually Stephen Bishop making a cameo appearance. He still has the smashed up guitar signed by the cast.
– During one of the Toga Party scenes, if you watch closely the Delta Tau Chi “emblem” is on the wall behind Hoover and Otter. The slogan on the emblem is “Ars Gratia Artis” or “Art for Art’s Sake” – The same slogan used by MGM Studios, hardly what would be considered relevant to a frat house.
With Wolverine in both images, it seems he is going to be the go-between past and future events.
Standing alongside young Xavier and Magneto, as well as Evan Peters’ Quicksilver in the first image and then in the second he is pictured lying on his back, with Beast hanging from the ceiling above him.
From what we have seen so far, this movie seems like it will be a massive hit with fans. It’s going to be epic!